San Francisco, California
When: August 5-7, 2016
San Francisco is one of the most colorful and lively cities in the world. Each year, Outside Lands celebrates The Golden Gate City through art, food and music. Headliners include a mix of current stars and music legends — any Elton John fans around? The lineup encompasses all genres, though leans more towards indie rock.
Outside Lands does everything well. As outstanding the acts are, make sure to set aside time to eat. SF’s culinary scene is ridiculously good. Only best restaurants and most beloved food trucks will have a coveted spot at the festival.
When we say Outside Lands represents SF, locals make damn well sure of it. Imagine if Stylish and Utilitarian had a baby, and that baby was Chill. Aside from flannels, blue jeans and Wayfarers, you will see a lot of San Francisco Giants gear. Don a baseball cap if you really want to blend in.
Either way, people from SF know how to do Chill like no place else. Very few acts you’ll have fans pushing forward, so don’t make that faux pas. And always, always say ‘excuse me’ and recycle properly. At the end of the day, you will receive the good vibes you put out.
A photo posted by ranger dave (@outsidelands) on
• We will say this again, make time for food! It’s delicious. It’s incredible. There’s a Land devoted to each of your favorite things — chocolate, beer, etc! The app even features a tool to create your own food lineup.
• Nights get cold in San Francisco. Even if it’s 80 out, trust us. Time to flex that vintage jean jacket that’s been hanging in your closet.
• Check out The Barbary, which is their comedy tent. Outside Lands has some pretty big names such as cast members from The Daily Show and Saturday Night Live.
• They encourage people to ride bikes to the fest by providing a bike valet and their Bike Parties. Around noon each day, they depart from the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium and ride back at 10:30PM. The civic center is also the location of their parking lot and shuttle departures, but it could get pricey.
• Out of all the fests we’ve been to, they may be the largest by area. So study their map prior to getting there. Outside Lands uses a large portion of Golden Gate Park. Going from one end to the fest to the other could quite as well take 10 or more minutes with the dawdling crowds.
You Should Know
✓ All Ages
✓ 2 Factory-Sealed Water Bottles, Camelbaks Allowed
✓ Small, Soft Coolers and Ice
✓ Totems Under 6ft, Not Made of Wood or Metal
✓ Shuttle and Parking Option $48-240
No Professional Cameras or Drones
No Umbrellas, Selfie Sticks, Chairs
For more info, check out their official website here.